Product & Furniture Designer
MASS is seeking a full-time Product and Furniture Designer to join our team in Kigali. We believe that the design process should benefit both people and the planet and we are looking for a creative and driven talent to contribute to our tight-knit design team. The candidate should be excited and unafraid to contribute new and daring ideas to the team, in line with MASS Made’s boundary-pushing identity and unique aesthetic. They should be willing to support the team with technical and administrative tasks and have a keen attention to detail. We’re looking for someone with both an efficient and collaborative mindset and raw creativity who’s willing to learn while being a part of the larger ecosystem of MASS.
- Prepare and develop from the brief, a design proposal and presentation by means of hand sketches, technical drawings, graphics, CAD models, and digital presentation models.
- Provide conceptual, creative, and technical support to the design team, bringing ideas and supporting the development of others.
- Provide up-to-date and relevant research into materials and production techniques
- Liaise with other external design teams and manufacturers and oversee the development and production of a prototype.
- Support the team with contextual and market research to ensure we are constantly staying ahead of the curve
- Assist with preparing presentations according to MASS brand guidelines for both internal and external use
- Assist the lab team with developing and iterating on prototypes or production, good knowledge in fabrication and product making is preferred.
- Maintenance of the MASS.Made design structure and organization of project folders, information, and meticulous archiving of all projects.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum 3 years experience in a design studio or in other relevant field
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in furniture or product design or other relative subject
- Excellent aesthetic sense, great understanding of materials, and attention to detail
- proficient 3D modeling skills, ideally in Rhino and/or Solidworks.
- proven experience in creating high-quality 3D renders
- proficiency in Rhino, AutoCAD
- Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign).
- Clear English communication via email and phone with manufacturers, suppliers etc
- Able to translate sketches and ideas into technical drawings
- Quick thinking and problem-solving mindset
- Strong portfolio showing excellence in design iteration, and strong graphic representation skills in 2D and 3D
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work collaboratively in team settings, while exhibiting individual initiative and strong time-management skills
- Demonstrated interest in sustainable design and local fabrication that celebrates the human handprint while minimizing environmental footprint.
- Commitment to working in Kigali and contributing positively to the global office culture
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other languages may be of benefit
At MASS Design Group we want people to be afforded the ability to do public interest work as a career and offer competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans as well as the opportunity to work with lighthouse organizations on seminal projects that promote justice and human dignity.
With over 120 employees from almost a dozen countries, MASS lives our belief that only a diverse staff from widely varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is properly equipped to tackle complex challenges in our communities. We aspire to create a more inclusive architecture profession and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Interested candidates should submit all application materials through the SlideRoom portal before Dec 20, 2023. Please, no phone calls or recruiting agencies. We will be in touch with the next steps once your application has been reviewed.