Senior Landscape Architect/Designer
MASS is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable full-time Senior Landscape Architect/Designer to join our landscape design team in our Kigali and Boston offices. Please note a professional landscape degree is required - either a master's or 5 year professional degree.
MASS seeks to create innovative design approaches that improve people’s lives in measurable ways. We create environments that promote health and dignity. Throughout the construction process, we collaborate with the communities our work will serve, approaching every project as a chance to invest in their future. We have designed projects in over a dozen countries in Africa and the Americas with a portfolio of services that spans architectural design, master planning, landscape architecture, engineering, strategic planning, communications and film. Current cross-disciplinary projects for engagement include projects in conservation, education, healthcare and urban design.
Our projects seek to support equitable and climate positive transformation of the built environment. Landscape architecture as a discipline has the potential to bridge between project and system scales, ranging from catalytic site-scaled design to city or landscape-scale visioning and planning. We are looking for talented designers with imagination and a sense of purpose for what is still a nascent profession in many geographies. The challenges and possibilities for our practice are immense and we are looking for colleagues who will respect and inspire their peers to make change together.
The ideal candidate will be a dedicated team builder, embracing skill sets of diverse colleagues, and mentoring junior staff to support their growth as well rounded landscape architects. Successful candidates will have demonstrated experience in project management, leading collaborative landscape design efforts, and thought leadership. This person will share project management of the landscape architecture portfolio for the Kigali office, support team development, and participate in the pursuit of new business development opportunities. The position entails working collaboratively and across disciplines to tackle unique design problems across the globe. It will require creativity and judgment to meet the unique challenges of the role and to help to envision and articulate the MASS strategy for landscape design in Africa.
Applicants able to work across multiple disciplines, in international settings, and with mentorship experience are highly valued.
- A professional landscape degree- either a master's or 5 year professional degree.
5-10 years of experience working on all phases of design and design management including: problem formulation, conceptual design, development of design documents, construction detailing, technical detailing, engineering coordination, management of construction documents, and coordination of project consultants.
- A track record of openly and effectively communicating with clients and senior staff as well as mentoring and training junior staff.
- Experience managing and inspiring the design process, construction administration, team development and research.
- Skill in developing clear work plans, establishing clear project roles, tracking schedules, building standards and empowering team members.
- A commitment to applying the MASS methodology and enforcing high project standards while maintaining flexibility and humility toward the clients and communities we serve
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite, AutoCad and Rhino. Lumion and Revit are a plus
- Specialized research and/or practice experience in one or more of the following practice focus areas:
- Ecology and landscape restoration
- Community engagement
- Low-carbon construction
- Green infrastructure