Site Engineer, MASS. Build
With more than 10 years of experience working on various projects in Rwanda, MASS identified a critical gap in the infrastructure development market. After working with nearly every major construction firm in the country, MASS identified a gap in the capacity of local teams to deliver complex projects on time, on budget, and at a high level of quality. For these reasons, MASS launched MASS.Build, a construction arm. MASS offers knowledge, expertise, and realistic expectations up front while maintaining transparency throughout the construction process on the project budget and schedule. With the mission of the project and client as our driver, MASS.Build brings a focus on impact and quality rather than on bottom line profits. Through MASS.Build, MASS offers partners Construction Management and General Contracting services of the highest quality. MASS uses the construction process to offer uplifting and equal employment opportunities, while emphasizing safe construction practices and skill improvement for local laborers. MASS.Build aims to become an industry leader in project delivery in the region, inspiring higher expectations and a demand in the market for increased quality and impact through construction.
MASS is currently constructing a Research Campus for The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund in Kinigi. This project is on a 5 hectare site, to be fully graded and landscaped, with 3 large campus buildings and several smaller buildings. MASS Build is hiring a Site Engineer to assist with managing and coordinating the construction of all campus buildings, as well as site-wide civil works through to final landscaping/hardscaping. The Site Engineer will oversee the construction of all items with MASS’s team of fore(wo)men and an estimated 300 workers. The duties are outlined as follows:
SITE ENGINEER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in sourcing and receipt of incoming materials and equipment, and track inventory on site for ongoing works.
- Act as main technical advisor on site for both self-performed tasks as well as subcontractors’ activities, and develop cost effective solutions for executing the work.
- Work with the Site Surveying team to ensure correct setting out of both building and civil works.
- Coordinate detail drawings for upcoming work and assist in the submittal process
- Ensure that the materials used in construction comply with the Design Specifications.
- Coordinate items in the upcoming 6-week advance schedule with the Site Management team.
- Work with Quantity Surveyors to track work in place and confirm measurements.
- Maintain a schedule of inspections, and coordinate with the Design Engineering team as work activities are completed.
- Assist in day-to-day management of site, monitoring labor force and equipment.
- Attend daily meetings with the Site Management team to report on ongoing work.
- Assist with enforcing HSE policy for team members, and coordinate with our HSE Manager.
- Assist with morning safety talks for all teams prior to commencement of daily activities.
- A degree in Civil Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of experience in civil works
- Good technical knowledge of civil works, particularly regarding grading roadways and walkways that occur in or near bedrock.
- Technical knowledge of grading and site drainage.
- Technical knowledge of construction with masonry and steel
- Management of multiple teams of porters, masons, and carpenters
- Management of multiple subcontractors
- Skill in developing clear work plans, establishing clear project roles, tracking schedules, building standards and empowering team members
- Commitment to applying the MASS methodology and enforcing high project standards while maintaining flexibility and humility toward the clients and communities we serve
- Fluent in English and Kinyarwanda
Application Deadline: August 1, 2020
Tentative Start Date: August 15, 2020