Associate Civil Engineer
MASS seeks to create innovative design approaches that improve people’s lives in measurable ways. We create environments that promote health and dignity.
Throughout the construction process, we collaborate with the communities our buildings will serve, approaching every project as a chance to invest in their future. Our work has expanded to over a dozen countries in Africa, the Americas and Asia with a portfolio of design services that spans architectural design, master planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and strategic planning.
This person will work collaboratively to tackle unique design problems across the globe, and will have the creativity and judgment to meet the unique challenges each presents.
The MASS Engineering team has grown significantly over the last five years, and now employs 20 staff across Structural, Civil and MEP disciplines. We are looking to hire an additional Civil Engineer or Senior Civil Engineer to strengthen the team’s capacity as well as providing design leadership to the more junior members of the team.
The position will report to Harriet Kirk (Senior Associate), who leads the MASS civil engineering team in Kigali. You will lead the civils design of medium to large projects, and will be responsible for guiding and leading the junior engineers working for you. A key aspect of the MASS approach to civil engineering is a desire to integrate innovative sustainable and low-energy solutions wherever possible. You will be responsible for researching and implementing appropriate technologies on our projects. Once projects reach site you will work alongside the site team to monitor the contractor’s work, ensuring that it is aligned with the design, and leading the response to contractor queries and requests.
- Ability to manage and deliver a medium project effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent general civils design expertise, including access, grading, retaining, site utilities networks, stormwater management and wastewater treatment
- Ability to produce design documentation for all project stages, including drawings, specifications and design reports
- Ability to manage others to produce design work
- Strong interdisciplinary coordination skills, particularly with Landscape Architecture;
- Experience in site assessments for early design stages
- Understanding of typical construction practices and a desire and ability to push for improvements where necessary;Positive and proactive attitude with an emphasis on design quality and attention to detail
- Ability to supervise a range of civil works on site, with emphasis on quality
- Chartered or near-Chartered Engineer with recognised engineering institution;
- Relevant Masters degree or other specialist civils training an advantage;
- Familiar with Autodesk software (AutoCAD; Civils 3D); GIS knowledge an advantage;
- Experience working in construction in Rwanda or East Africa.
- Leads delivery of coordinated civil engineering designs in line with budget, programme and project mission statement
- Works collaboratively with MASS architects, landscape architects and MEP engineers
- Ensures that civil engineering designs are produced in accordance with MASS Engineering quality management standards
- Researches and implements sustainable solutions
- Manages and trains junior engineering staff
- Supports MASS architecture and landscape architecture teams in concept and scheme designs
- Works collaboratively with subconsultants, contractors and suppliers to achieve quality solutions and end products
- Works with site teams to ensure that designs are implemented as intended