Shop Manager/Model Maker
MASS Design Group is looking for a full-time experienced individual to manage a small fabrication shop in their new office space in the South End. MASS is a mission-driven design collective that approaches architecture with an interdisciplinary focus on improving people’s lives in measurable ways. We create environments that promote health and human dignity, and design towards a regenerative building culture that advances economic, social, and environmental justice from the scale of a building to the scale of a system.
Candidates should have experience with and a passion for a variety of fabrication methods and tools and sharing that passion with others. The shop will support project’s design process throughout various stages of development. The shop is/will be equipped with a 3-axis CNC, lasercutter, PLA 3D printer, as well as a series of traditional woodworking and modelmaking tools. Responsibilities will include:
- Training and collaborating with the team on the equipment and software
- Implementing new fabrication techniques/tools into the design process
- Production of models and/or prototypes in conjunction with design teams
- Maintaining and caring for equipment, tools, and shop space
- Liaising/Supporting MASS’s fabrication efforts in other offices/locations
The ideal candidate has:
- 3+ years of experience in fabrication shops, ideally in an architectural office environment.
- A strong portfolio showing excellence in fabrication methods, design iteration, model making, and visual and written communication;
- Capacity to contribute across project phases and types;
- Command of fabrication related software and techniques; proficiency in Revit, Rhino, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, and/or other software, and the ability to work seamlessly between software platforms;
- Ability to work collaboratively in team settings, while exhibiting individual initiative;
- Comfortable coordinating with project teams, managing project schedules and budgets;
- Ability to communicate across a broad group of stakeholders including senior staff, partners/clients and the communities they serve;
- Demonstrated interest in low-carbon design & construction and building performance;
- Commitment to working in the Boston area and contributing positively to the global office culture;
At MASS Design Group we want people to be afforded the ability to do public interest work as a career and offer competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans as well as the opportunity to work with lighthouse organizations on seminal projects that promote justice and human dignity.
With over 120 employees from almost a dozen countries, MASS lives our belief that only a diverse staff from widely varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is properly equipped to tackle complex challenges in our communities. We aspire to create a more inclusive architecture profession and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.