MASS is seeking a full-time Structural Engineer to join our team in Kigali, Rwanda. We are a mission-driven design collective that approaches architecture and engineering with an interdisciplinary focus on improving people’s lives in measurable ways. We create environments that promote health and human dignity, and design towards a regenerative building culture that advances economic, social, and environmental justice from the scale of a building to the scale of a system. Our projects seek to support equitable and climate positive transformation of the built environment.
Our project needs are constantly growing and changing, so rather than advertise for a specific position we are instead seeking a broad array of candidates to join our growing team, of varying backgrounds and levels of experience. These collaborative individuals will support our multi-disciplinary Engineering Team and play a key role in the design and construction supervision of building structures for MASS projects. The candidate is anticipated to support a variety of projects, integrating innovative, sustainable and low carbon solutions to tackle design problems across the continent. We are particularly searching for people who are passionate about learning and applying engineering techniques to compliment and improve the architectural intent of projects and minimizing the impact of buildings on the environment . Once projects reach the construction phase the candidate will work alongside the site team to ensure construction meets design intent.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor's degree in civil and/or structural engineering. A masters or other specialist training is an advantage.
- Ability to work collaboratively in team settings, while exhibiting individual initiative and strong time-management skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with various audiences including senior leadership, constructors, partners/clients and the communities they serve.
- A commitment to applying the MASS methodology and enforcing high project standards, delivering own work in connection with broader team/project goals.
- Demonstrated interest in low-carbon design and construction and building performance.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD. Knowledge of Revit.
In addition, for junior roles:
- Minimum 1 year experience in a design or site role, focused on buildings. Seismic design experience is an advantage.
- Experience working in building design or construction in East Africa.
- Capacity to contribute across project phases, from scheme design work through design development and construction documentation.
- Attention to detail, a commitment to accuracy and ability to self-check own work.
- A positive and proactive attitude.
- Knowledge of one or more structural analysis packages e.g. Autodesk, Robot, OASYS GSA etc.
In addition, for senior roles:
- 5-10 years of professional experience working on all phases of design and design management including scheme design, development of design documents, construction detailing, coordination, management of construction documents, specifications and design reports.
- Expertise in structural analysis and design in seismic regions. Substantial experience in reinforced concrete, steel, timber and masonry design to the Eurocodes or other international quality standards. Experience in non-conventional structures and materials is an advantage.
- The capacity to coordinate collaboratively across disciplines and manage project schedules and budgets.
- Experience overseeing structural works through construction, ideally in East Africa. Understanding of typical construction practice and the capacity to develop standards and protocols to improve quality.
- Ability to interrogate Bills of Quantities, and review and adjust designs based on project costing advantages.
- Skill in developing clear work plans, establishing clear project roles, tracking schedules and budgets, developing quality standards and protocols, and training and mentoring junior team members.
- A commitment to setting a culture of excellency, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experienced in finite element analysis theory and practice. Proficiency in one or more structural analysis packages e.g. Autodesk Robot, OASYS GSA etc.
- Registered with a recognised engineering institution.
At MASS Design Group we want people to be afforded the ability to do public interest work as a career and offer competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans as well as the opportunity to work with lighthouse organizations on seminal projects that promote justice and human dignity.
With over 120 employees from almost a dozen countries, MASS lives our belief that only a diverse staff from widely varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is properly equipped to tackle complex challenges in our communities. We aspire to create a more inclusive architecture and engineering profession without any form of discrimination and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.