Designer/Project Architect in Restorative Justice
MASS is seeking a full-time Designer/Project Architect to join our Restorative Justice Design Lab team. The position would be located in our Boston office. We are a mission-driven design collective that approaches architecture with an interdisciplinary focus on improving people’s lives in measurable ways. We create environments that promote health and human dignity, and design towards a regenerative building culture that advances economic, social, and environmental justice from the scale of a building to the scale of a system.
Individuals who have been directly impacted by the carceral system are encouraged to apply.
The ideal candidate has:
- 2-8 years of related architectural design and project-based experience;
- A professional degree in architecture (BArch or MArch);
- A strong portfolio showing excellence in design iteration and visual communication;
- Capacity to contribute across project phases, from early phase conceptual design work through design development, construction documentation and construction administration;
- Capacity to connect research and design across multiple disciplines and modes of communication, including public policy, secondary research, and storytelling and narrative development.
- Command of REVIT as the primary tool for architectural drawing; proficiency in Rhino, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Lumion and/or other software;
- Ability to work collaboratively in team settings, while exhibiting individual initiative;
- Ability to communicate across a broad group of stakeholders including senior staff, subconsultants, partners/clients and the communities they serve;
- A commitment to working in or traveling to Boston and contributing positively to the office culture.
- Experience working in restorative justice spaces, housing, education and/or community centers and engagement.
- The ideal candidate is familiar with the crisis of mass incarceration and passionate about transforming the criminal legal system. We believe those closest to the problem are best equipped to solve it so while not essential to the job, having personal experience with the system is a plus.
At MASS Design Group we want people to be afforded the ability to do public interest work as a career and offer competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans as well as the opportunity to work with lighthouse organizations on seminal projects that promote justice and human dignity.
With over 120 employees from almost a dozen countries, MASS lives our belief that only a diverse staff from widely varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is properly equipped to tackle complex challenges in our communities. We aspire to create a more inclusive architecture profession and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Interested candidates should submit all application materials through the SlideRoom portal. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please, no phone calls or recruiting agencies. We will be in touch with next steps once your application has been reviewed.